Francenanorecif

Bienvenue, Invité
Nom d'utilisateur : Mot de passe : Se souvenir de moi
  • Page :

SUJET : Lysmata amboinensis .

Lysmata amboinensis . 03 Oct 2017 18:33 #478558

I introduced four of these wonderful shrimps in my 30 L nano marine cube. No fish in the cube just 6 corals. They appear to have settled down well, but they have all died now. Anyone any ideas why please?
Temp. 25 C; Sp. Gr. 1.024 ; nitrite -2 ; nitrate < 0.05 ; ammonia 0 ; Mg. 1220 ; Calcium 340.
Water changes every 7 - 9 days.
All corals doing well but Montipora digita going brown and has white patches near bottom of trunk.
Dernière édition: 03 Oct 2017 18:36 par nassareef. Raison: error in writing
L'administrateur a désactivé l'accès en écriture pour le public.

Lysmata amboinensis . 10 Oct 2017 16:10 #478572

• liam
  • Portrait de liam
  • Administrateur
  • Remerciements reçus 245
hi
what about the oxygen in your tank : do you have a skimmer ( the point is it is not for skimming only but first and foremost for bringing a lot of air into the water )
Usually they are not known as that fragile, and you should have had only one dead not the four of them.
Could it be something being in the room: tobacco or sceting product?
I am known for putting too many animals in my tanks, but honestly four are too much. You should introduce two only next time or choose a pair of the small Stenopus species.
Dernière édition: 10 Oct 2017 16:14 par liam.

Lysmata amboinensis . 10 Oct 2017 17:54 #478576

Hi Liam, first, thank you for your reply. I think oxygen in my tank is OK, but how do I check it? I was told that Lysmata like to live in groups so I got four. They were all very big when they arrived. One died some days before the other three. No skimmer just a Dennerle Bio-Circulator. Dennerle say this all you need if you do not have too many animals in the tank and I have only six corals and Halimeda algae which is going white, like a phantom . Is this a clue for what is wrong?

Lysmata amboinensis . 10 Oct 2017 18:11 #478577

• liam
  • Portrait de liam
  • Administrateur
No , I don't have any idea, if the Halimeda is turning white it means it is dead.
If a tag assures you it is going to turn you into something impossible, would you believe it?
There is no cheap and easy-to-find test for oxygen. Nvertheless I do think you definitely need a skimmer, again not for the skimming effect alone, but for the oxyginating properties themselves. There never is enough in a tank water. Wherever you are living, you'll be able to find these nano-skimmers to replace that bio circulator.
What is the weight of your stones for your volume?
The fact nitrite are above 0 clearly shows your tank has a problem in the nitrogen cycle, at least that for some reason not enough nitrites are turned into nitrates. nitrites are harmful to animals in the way they challenge oxygen's capture in the gills. Usually the foam used for the kind of products like found in the de ntrator in fact produces a disballence leading to pollution.

Lysmata amboinensis . 11 Oct 2017 10:19 #478579

When I gave my test results done on the 3 Oct. there was an error I made in writing. The Nitrite = < 0.05 and Nitrate = less than 2, so I think the situation in my tank not so bad ? Would you agree?
I have 22 L of water in my 30 L cube and approximately 3.5 Kg of living rock. I have some "dead" rock I could add if you advise me to do so.
I will look at skimmers as you suggest, but with the heater and the Bio-Circulator I have very little room to add another piece of equipment which will leave very little room for more corals, and possibly two shrimps & a Trochus or Turbo snail. The skimmer you suggest is just for creating bubbles in the water like a stone in a tropical aquarium?
I do not intend to have any fish in my reef tank. I think I might have added the four Lysmata too soon in the tank?
I have now taken all the Halimeda out now.
May I thank you again Liam for taking the trouble to solve my problems. I hope my problems will be over - eventually.
They do say that you must be prepared to be patient when you start a reef tank !

Lysmata amboinensis . 11 Oct 2017 14:00 #478581

• liam
  • Portrait de liam
  • Administrateur
Hi
Thanks for thanking but helping and experience sharing is why we are existing, isn't it?
the volume of living stones is perfect.
Ok for the nitrites, they really have to be at 0. the normal cycle is wastes + food > O ammonium > 0 nitrites > (around 10/15) nitrates (the values you have to find when testing).
Well in fact having a high oxygen level leads to different beneficial consequences either on the water quality equilibrium or on the living beings in the tank. So it is not just adding air.
By the way, what is the water quantity moved by the pumps? the more water moves, the better the corals grow, and this is just an example.
I do insist on replacing your device by a skimmer and in case you feared losing room in the tank, why don't look for a hang-on skimmer? They are very practical and also add a substantial volume of water. Personnaly, I have always used them in my nano tanks and don't fear to over rate, the result will still be very very far from what happens in the wild.
read from you soon, I think ;-)

Lysmata amboinensis . 11 Oct 2017 17:43 #478582

Hello Liam, I couldn't agree more with your comments on helping people whenever possible. That is how we can have a happy life, particularly when like us, you live in a small village.
My Bio-Circulator on present setting is 250 l/h, but I have an option to increase it to 500 l/h for a 60 L nanoreef cube. I could increase it to the greater output and see what difference it makes before adding an external skimmer ?
I will also contact Dennerle and ask them what they recommend to increase the oxygen content of the water and see what they say. Please do not think I am ignoring your advice but, IF POSSIBLE, I would like to run my nano cube as Dennerle say it should be set up following their instructions.
In case you are interested and have the time to spare you can look up www.dennerle.com/nano. You will see two examples of 30 L cubes which have been running for over a year in a laboratory.
What a pity you are not living in the next village near me :-)

Lysmata amboinensis . 11 Oct 2017 18:31 #478583

• liam
  • Portrait de liam
  • Administrateur
The fact is that Dennerle has been known for freshwater and has turned into marine very recently. They have just taken the opportunity to make money. They have never been told as making a outbreak for nano reef keeping.
Keepers have tried to make their skimmers first and then industrial makers have started creating nano skimmers then because they are a key item to coral reef keeping apart from the deep bed method (Jaubert) or skimmerless tanks kept by very talented keepers.
Just wrote you my thoughts, it is up to you.

Lysmata amboinensis . 12 Oct 2017 10:22 #478586

Now Liam, you have given me some information about Dennerle that I was totally unaware of, and also because of that, something I have to look into for my Nano cube. I will look into skimmers seriously now to see if there are any small and efficient models that I can afford. ( I live on a pension !) If by any chance you have any information on this equipment, I will be very grateful to receive it, but please don't go to much trouble to find it. What I will do is when I have looked and made any decisions, I will ask you for your opinion on the product in case you are familiar with it.
I have now made a change to my Bio-Circulator output, and it is now on 500 l/h and hope you approve of this change. Do you think it might be helpful?

Lysmata amboinensis . 12 Oct 2017 10:37 #478587

• liam
  • Portrait de liam
  • Administrateur
hi
Yes Definitely it will make an important change in the equilibrium, and on the long run for your animals .

You earlier wrote about patience : for how long had your tank been running when you added the shrimps? Can you remember steps and times when setting it?

An important question for helping : where are you living?

You may have a first look here at Fishstreet

as regards Dennerle, just look on the web, you'll see they are producers of highly qualitive .... softwater plants, light tubes, softwater shrimp tanks etc. all very good stuff but marine water is simply anecdotic by them.
Dernière édition: 12 Oct 2017 10:48 par liam.

Lysmata amboinensis . 12 Oct 2017 12:41 #478589

When I first put water in my cube, because I did not have access to water from a marine aquarium, I started with a mix of rain water and demineralised water with the sand, pump, and light working. That was on the 9 March.
After two weeks I added my live rock, and after that I added on 3 Aug. the algae from Marine Life in Paris.
First four corals were added 26.Aug. from Aquariofil. Nimes.
15 Sept. two corals and four Lysmata from Marine Life, Paris.
I use a water test kit from JBL for Mg & Ca tests and Red Sea test kit for all the other usual tests.
I live in a village Cailhau, 11240.
I will look at your suggestion at Fishstreet, - thank you

Lysmata amboinensis . 12 Oct 2017 17:37 #478590

• liam
  • Portrait de liam
  • Administrateur
I sent you a pm
How come you are writing in English?
  • Page :
Temps de génération de la page : 0.187 secondes

Une bouteille à la mer

billyboyk - 17:19

20 kilos de PV avec du mou, ça tiendra 2 jours dans un bidon brassé/chauffé ;)

billyboyk - 08:22

:D Bonne année à tous !!! xD

habaqouq - 22:06

bonsoir comme insérer une image dans un post merci

delphizorglub - 18:08

Ouaou :p super

babe91800 - 12:18

Bonjour à tous :) petit come back après un moment d'absence

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members